Monday, April 21, 2008

Pizza Potatoes

This is my re-creation of Jon's all-time favorite Staggering Ox dish. They aren't made with traditional potato toppings but I promise, they're delish!

Bake potatoes (one per person) until tender. The key is to get the perfect doneness because you don't want them too mushy or too firm. I error on the side of firm, then cut them into bite-size pieces. Place the pieces in individual-size casserole dishes. If the potatoes are still a bit too firm, I'll put them back in the oven for a few minutes, or if I'm in a hurry, I'll cover the dish with plastic wrap and give 'em a minute or two in the microwave. But if the potatoes turn out to mushy, then they're difficult to cut and the finished product is not nearly as good.

Next top the potato pieces with sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms and olives. Top that with pizza sauce. (Not spaghetti sauce!) Then add cheese. I like to use a mozzarella with a little cheddar combo. Then top that with pepperoni slices and add just a bit more cheese. Place dishes under the broiler until the cheese turns to a melty, bubbly delight. Remove from oven and place casserole dish on a dinner plate and serve with a side of ranch. (No bottled ranch, use the yummy Hidden Valley Ranch envelope mixed with mayo and buttermilk)

The flavors really are great together. As you can see, Jon's always happy when I serve these yummies up for dinner.



I was never tempted by them in the restaurant but after making them for Jon, they became a favorite of mine!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I would definitely have to save these for a "Free Day". They do look very tasty!

Granny said...

I have never heard of these before, but being a big fan of both potatoes and pizza, I will most definitely need to give them a try.

Chad said...

Love the idea, and the pic of Jon is priceless!