Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What's In My Fridge

As I was preparing to make dinner tonight my mind started wandering to the things I can not live without in my pantry or fridge. So goes the evolution of the first-ever Martha, Betty, Julia and Mom Blog tag!

10 Things I Must Have In My Fridge or Pantry
  1. Cucumbers - Anna would eat cucumbers for every meal if I let her. I don't remember why I decided to give them to her in the first place but it must have been inspiration!
  2. Boxed Chicken Broth - In my opinion, there is no explanation needed for this one.
  3. Black Beans - We prefer black beans to refried beans so we use them in every Mexican or Latin dish conceivable. I buy no less than 5 cans at a time.
  4. Apples or Grapes - Usually both. I think my daughter would starve without these.
  5. Milk - We buy two jugs of whole milk and two of skim at least twice a month.
  6. Chicken - I can live without ground beef, pork tenderloin, or even fish but take away my chicken and I don't know what I'd do.
  7. Stew Leonard's Tortillas - I don't think I've ever made a two week meal plan that didn't include one or more of fajitas, tacos or quesadillas. I only buy my tortillas at Stew Leonards. They are fresh and delicious and only available in Connecticut or New York. Sorry!
  8. Shredded Cheddar Cheese - I buy the jumbo bag at Costco, split it into two gallon bags and freeze. I am never without cheese.
  9. Trader Joe's Monterrey Jack Cheese Sticks - My absolute favorite snack. I buy two packages at a time! Once again, sorry for those without a Trader Joe's nearby.
  10. Onions - Enough said

There you go, a few things that my kitchen is never lonely for. Now it's your turn! What do you always have on hand?

3 comments:

Tara said...

That's fun. I'll have to think about it...

Amy said...

1. Milk - always, even if I don't feel like drinking it and end up throwing some away after the expiration date.
2. Butter - Flashback from the past, I don't think I have ever run out, it's my must have since I think you should always should be prepared to make cookies or an awesome bechamel (white) sauce.
3. Cheese - to copy Erin, we both love cheese and I could eat mexican 100 percent of the time.
5. Vanilla - Yes, another flash from the past, I think you should always have baking items available.
6. Flour - I buy 25lbs at a time and use it for bread, and baking etc.
7. Salsa - Usually homemade since my husband loves that kind the best, but Pace is a nice stand by and works great in a lot of recipes or chips and dip at a Presidency Meeting.

Yes, I know most of my items are for baking, I believe if anything in times of hardship or trials great comfort can be found with homemade cookies or bread. If anything I'll end up feeding all those people who don't have 72 hour kits.

Granny said...

1. Yogurt
2. Babybels-we love them with...
3. Rice Crackers from Costco.
4. Instant Oatmeal-Dad can't live without it.
5. Milk to put on Dad's oatmeal.
6. Dad's gotta have his Cheese-its
7. Sliced turkey and swiss cheese for Dad's daily lunch sandwich.

I know we're pretty boring...