Monday, May 12, 2008

Breakfast In Bed

Because of low funds, I decided to take the creative route with Mother's Day gifts this year. I racked my brain for something cute and fun and finally came up with this:

Using fabric scraps and fiberfill I made a "bed" in the bottom of a box. I tried to make it as realistic as possible with the top section fuller than the rest, as if pillows were underneath the bedspread. I then sewed tiny little throw pillows to complete the look.

I purchased a tasty buttermilk pancake mix at Trader Joe's and doctored it up adding cocoa and milk chocolate chips. So as not to send an undesirable gift, I tried some of my concoction and the resulting pancakes were deeelish!

I put the mix in ziploc bags (not very cute but shipping proof) and attached a homemade card with a cute ribbon. The card read: Mom, This Mother's Day we hope you enjoy breakfast in bed!

Thanfully, the result came out just as good as it was in my brain!

4 comments:

Chad said...

What a great and creative idea!

Granny said...

It was such a cute gift. I really love it. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to save the box.

Tara said...

Great idea. You could market that one!

Tara said...

I tried the pizza dough and it didn't work for me. Are you sure about the amount of flour in the dough? It seemed like way too much and was a cup more than any other recipe I've seen...

Mine certainly didn't look like the one in your picture.