Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pie Class


Last Thursday evening I attended the Larchmont & Mamaroneck Continuing Education Great Holiday Pies class. Our class was held in the home economics room of Mamaroneck High School. I felt like I was back in school as we watched our teacher (minus the infamous overhead mirror) make a fabulous deep dish apple pie and impart to us many great pie-making tips.

A fun-filled two hours later I left armed with new skills, a prepared crust and a packet full of recipes.

Spencer had to leave work early for me to attend and when I returned home, he informed me that his co-workers were now expecting a sweet treat. I decided to have a go at the Kentucky Derby Pie. It was amazing! Lucky for me Spencer took most of it to work or I would have eaten the whole thing!

Kentucky Derby Pie

3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Flour
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
4 Eggs
1 Cup Pecans, Chopped
1 Cup Light Karo Syrup
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1 teaspoon Vanilla

1 Unbaked 9-inch pie crust

Mix all ingredients in bowl. Pour into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

**My oven required a longer baking time. Just make sure it's set in the middle.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh wow, that sounds wonderful!!