Monday, June 9, 2008

Snappy Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes

I received this recipe in a pack of recipes we got for our wedding. Sadly, I hadn't had a reason to try it. On Thursday we had a picnic for Enrichment and I decided it was a perfect chance to finally give this a whirl. They were great! Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture but they were also very cute.

20 Cherry Tomatoes
1 8-Ounce Package Cream Cheese, softened
2 Green Onions, sliced
2/3 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Whole Kernel Corn
1 tsp Ground Red Chiles (I didn't have ground red chiles so I used 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper...it was a nice kick)

*Cut thin slice from stem end of tomatoes. Remove pulp and seeds with melon baler or spoon. (I don't have a melon baler and the spoon didn't work so good. I held the tomatoes on their sides, and turned them as I sliced out the insides with a knife.)
*Combine cream cheese, onions, cheddar cheese and corn and ground red chiles.
*Fill tomatoes with cheese mixture.
*Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
*Garnish with cilantro or green onions, if desired.

These were such a great "popable" treat. I think they will be my new favorite picnic or BBQ sidedish!

2 comments:

Chad said...

That does sound good! Obviously with my no-tomato hubby, I will be trying that while he is off at a softball tournament...

Tara said...

Great idea. I wish I'd seen this before going to a BBQ last night. I would've taken them. Sounds like something I would really like.