Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Erin's Fish Tacos

After watching a very enticing show on the Food Network featuring fish tacos, I decided to give them a try. I combined a few different recipes, added my own touches and came up with something really tasty.

Cole Slaw
4 cups Cabbage, shredded
1/2 Red Onion, sliced
3-4 Scallions, sliced
1/3 cup Vinegar
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Caraway Seeds, toasted

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate until you are ready to assemble your tacos. Feel free to mess around with this. I added some quartered cucumber last night and also thought that shredded carrot would be good. Add what you like, take out what you don't.

Fish
1-1 1/2 pounds Cod
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/2 cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp White Pepper
1 Egg, beaten
Oil, for frying

Heat oil in skillet and slice fish into strips. Combine remaining ingredients expect egg in shallow dish. Beat egg in separate dish (I used two Pyrex pie plates). Roll fish pieces in flour mixture and then dip in egg. Fry in oil until golden brown.

Toppings
Cilantro
Tomatoes
Avocado
Sour Cream
Lime Wedges or Lime Juice

Heat desired amount of small corn tortillas. Layer tortillas with fish pieces, cole slaw, desired toppings and drizzle with a little lime juice. Enjoy!

I know what you are thinking...this can't be very healthy. But, if you shallow fry your fish in a lower fat oil, such as olive oil, it's not bad. I put this recipe in Weight Watchers and it was only 8 points for two tacos.

2 comments:

Chad said...

Sounds great! I have always been scared of fish in tacos, but we really love fish so I think we'll have to try these.

Tara said...

I think I'd be the only one in the family that would like them. Makes me sad because I think I would REALLY like them.